Thursday, November 18, 2010

SPIDERS

(Net-casting Spider)

In Australia you can find the most incredible and unusual species of spiders. Some of them are dangerous, some aren’t. However, luckily for us, even being poisonous most of them aren`t so aggressive. You find beautiful colours and shapes, different sizes. Hairy or hairless, skinny or fat, long legs or short legs, or whatever. You can find all kinds!


 (Redback Spider)

The Redback Spider is a small black spider (female 12mm, male 3mm) with a red stripe in the back, very poisonous and dangerous. The bite is not painful initially, with intense pain developing after about 5 minutes.



(Sydney Funnel-web Spider)

Just like the Redback Spider, this one should be avoided because their bite can be painful for some days and can be fatal if not treated. The Sydney Funnel-web Spider is a very aggressive species and one of the deadliest spiders in the world.

My first scary encounter!

When I was travelling through Jervis Bay, more precisely in Cave`s Beach, I had a funny experience, and kind of dangerous knowing the level of alcohol in my blood. Later in the night after some drinks, when we (me and my friends) were camping, we went into the bushes looking for spiders, snakes and frogs. We found some interesting creatures, but the amazing moment was when we arrived back in our tent: A really creepy big brown spider waiting for us inside our "home". We were very afraid cause we know that some spiders can be very dangerous here. But it ran away and everybody slept peacefully and safe.



After all, it was a Huntsman Spider. Not poisonous, not dangerous.

6 comments:

  1. I never ever had slept in this tent in this night!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me again.
    ...next to your Redback Spider picture you wrote: The Redback Spider is AN small black spider...
    It's better to change the AN to an A!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like this page:( I hate spiders buu ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Post corrected! Thank you Rieke!
    By the way... you should have said: "I would never ever have slept in this tent that night"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my god! I think I have a net casting spider living in my backyard.

    ReplyDelete